Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm a Senior, Get Me Out of Here

Give or take a few final exams, I, along with the rest of the class of 2010, am a senior. I can’t begin to fathom what that means. All of a sudden, my world seems like a rush of numbers and deadlines that are all so finite, so within reach. Everything I’ve been working for over the past three years is finally coming to a head. Hours of extracurriculars, studying for exams, arguing over course registration, and balancing social life, home life, work life, and school life, all finally mean something. The résumé I’ve spent years discussing so hypothetically becomes all the more real when it starts getting sent out to colleges. Those SAT and ACT scores I’ve been meaning to raise have to get much better during the summer. And those college visits that everyone harps on about need to get taken.

But this is my senior year. I don’t want to focus so much on getting to where I need to go that I lose sight of what’s around me. I have plenty of high school left to experience. This summer, I’ll be working at Target once again, and will be getting a car (finally!). I’m also writing a screenplay with a couple friends of mine, and hopefully shooting it, too. I wanna go on road trips, party with friends, and live my life without worrying every second about what comes next.

When the year starts, I’ll have a fantastic schedule that will actually allow me to relax every once in a while, do Varsity Drama, which I’ve wanted to do for years, take Creative Writing, and still take a few interesting AP classes. I’ll have six more issues of the newspaper to put out in my tenure, this time with Mrs. Kirby at the helm of Desktop Publishing. I’ve got an all-new staff to work with:

- Joe Aragon - David Cruz
- Stephen Muela - Austin Sandford
- Isabel Swartz - Nicollette Violante
- Cody Ruggio - Alice Schneider
- Arianna Zeb - Elizabeth Hoover
- Eric Sherrill - Zach Ojeda
- Stephen McDonald - Irene Minderhoud
- Emma Nicolas - Sierra Mountain
- Patrick Roland - Alex Zeb
- Kira Parsons

I’ve got a great group of friends to make the next year a blast with, too. From my best friends to my long-time friends to friends I want to get to know better to friends I haven’t even made yet, there truly isn’t a better group of people to spend the days with.

Junior year wasn’t one I’m going to remember too fondly. Sure, there were some incredibly fun moments, and the summer before is one I’ll never forget, but it was too high-drama, not enough carefree fun. A lot of it was my fault, too. I don’t want my senior year to be like that. I want senior year to be fun.

And if I don’t screw it up too bad, it should be.

No comments: