Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It Gets Better

Today's a cool day for me, because it's the day I restart the Oscar Predictions portion of this site. I've been silently monitoring the race for a while (silent on the blog--my friends can tell you I haven't been silent at all) and now feel confident enough to start predicting what the nominees will look like come late January.

But first: I don't know how many of you have heard of the It Gets Better project, designed by columnist Dan Savage in the wake of the disturbing wave of suicides committed by gay teens these past few weeks. Plenty of both celebrities and real people straight, gay, and otherwise have filmed videos imparting messages of love and support to LGBT teens across the country struggling with their sexuality and constant bullying. (Tim Gunn's video, in particular, is incredibly affecting.)

The project is admirable and already being proven to be a source of great support for teens across the country. Though I do find it interesting that the country seems to have just realized now that gay teens have a hard time in their youth (trust me, that's been going on for a while now), the overall message is so profound that everyone should take note.

Check out the video project when you get a chance. It's a moving set of videos, definitely worth watching and even participating. And to anyone out there who might be struggling, just remember: it does get better.

No comments: